Workshop: Replace waste ink tanks of Epson C & D-models: How to replace the sponges: How to replace the sponges
Access to sponges in Epson printers is rather difficult, compared to Canon printers.
You have to disassemble most of the printer to find and replace the absorbers.
This is a very time consuming process, complicated by bolts difficult to access. Weigh up pros and cons if you own a basic model. Is it worth your time and effort? For about 50 Euros you may get a new printer and new ink tanks.
If you plan to proceed anyway and disassemble your printer, you should first consider what to do with the sponges. There are several alternatives:
- You can buy sponges in online-shops specialized on spare parts. We recommend that.
- You can also take out the sponges and wash and dry them, thus however reducing their soaking capacity.
While working on the sponges, watch your clothing and your furniture: Ink-stains resist removal!
Prepare a working-space big enough for all parts you need. Put a thick layer of paper or a foil on it.
What comes now is a procedure more or less alike for all printer-models:
- Open the clips on the printer´s top and sides at all places marked by an arrow or circle
- Loosen the screws which connect the printer´s top with it´s bottom, if necessary in several steps
- Replace the sponges
- Reassemble the printer in reverse order
- Reset the counter (this can be done as a first, to avoid reset-problems after a strenuous but successful exchange of the sponges).